IMC or Integrated Marketing Communication is a strategy of customer engagement and communication with them.
The main purpose of business is maximazing profitability. IMC is not an exception. IMC aims to maintain long-term relationships with the most gainful customers. Moreover, IMC assists in retaining customers. IMC helps the company to build luxury brand and increase total revenue.
IMC has only four different types: horizontal and vertical, internal and external. Combination of these types accomplishes your goals.
- Horizontal type – it usually useful, when the company wants to develop its product. Clear communication among functional areas of the company is crucial. For example, marketing team should give insights to engineering team in order to create the best product based on market preferences.
- Vertical type – making sure that the product fits company’s mission, vision, values and goals.
- Internal type – it focuses on keeping employees excitement about the product. It helps to increase sales because employees will transmit excitement to customers.
- External type – it happens when the company deals with outside companies, e.g. marketing agencies, advertisement companies. It is essential to be in touch with them, if the company creates a new product or develops it.
Tools and Channels:
Tools of IMC allude to inegration of different marketing tools, such as, online advertising, direct marketing and public relations etc. For the most efficient collaboration among marketing areas, the company should facilitate clear communication among them.
- Advertising – it is the most competent way for inceasing awareness about the company among customers, e.g TV Promotion, videos, and challenges on Social Media, etc. It also motivates end-users to buy the company’s product. It is important for the company to create a clear message for customers in advertisement.
- Direct Marketing – this way of marketing facilitates communication between users and the company without intermediaries, e.g. e-mails, phone calls, SMS, and catalouges etc.
- Personal Selling – the way to sell the product to the end-user after face-to-face meeting. The seller promotes the product through emotions and attitude.
- Public Relations Activities – it helps to promote a brand through events, news, and public appearences, etc.
These tools are executed by marketing, sales departments and public relations of the company. For example, marketing department creates product advertising and sales department makes personal selling and direct marketing.
Tips for successful IMC:
If the company follows this guidline, it will achieve goals.
Benefits of IMC:
- Competitive advantage
- Brand reinforcement
- Bigger audience
- More consistent and clear message.
Limitations of IMC
- More expensive that traditional marketing
- Efforts hard to measure
- A large number of resources to measure and analyze
- Planning is time consuming
- Higher number of KPIs needed to be defined.
- Business Dictionary
- Integrated Marketing Communications Part |||: Acquiring and Retaining Customers by Holly Hosford-Dunn, PhD, FAAA
- Types of IMC by Richard Morgan
- Integrated Marketing Communication Tools by MSG
- IMC: The Next Generation by Don and Heidi Schultz
- Client perception of IMC by Thomas Duncan